Christian offers his clients extensive experience concerning various business litigation matters, including contract disputes, breach of warranty actions, claims involving non-compete, non-disclosure, and non-solicitation agreements, partnership disputes, actions involving unfair and deceptive acts and practices, and other types of disputes between businesses. Recognizing that trade secrets and other intellectual property often comprise the decisive advantage a business has over its competitors, Christian enjoys advising clients about how to protect their information and ideas so as to avoid lawsuits in the first place. He has also successfully represented clients in litigation matters concerning misappropriation of trade secrets or other confidential business information. Research misconduct proceedings can have serious consequences for academics. Institutions sometimes fail to comply with safeguards that are supposed to protect whistleblowers from retaliation or provide respondents with due process and impartial proceedings in investigating allegations. Individuals who are planning to report research misconduct, as well as researchers who are facing such allegations, should consider having legal counsel assist them with this complicated and specialized process that can determine one’s reputation, ability to have an academic career, and eligibility to receive federal research funding and work on federally-funded research projects. Christian also has deep experience helping clients in construction disputes, including representing architects, engineers, construction companies, and project owners, as well as prosecuting and defending tort matters, including when someone without authorization takes and disseminates private photographs or videos of another person, and employment matters such as discriminatory employment practices, retaliation upon making a good faith report of unlawful employment practices, and violation of the Massachusetts wage and hour law. Some of his successes include:
- Representing a client in a breach of contract/partnership dispute resulting in a judgment worth over $600,000 for his client and defeat of his opponent’s twenty-two counterclaim counts by motion and at trial in the Superior Court Business Litigation Session
- Settling various employment disputes with settlements ranging from six-figures to almost $2 million
- Aiding a client in obtaining a six-figure settlement against a major financial institution for not complying with regulations when following them would have allowed it to identify and raise an alert as to ongoing check fraud
- Representing a client in a conflict of interest matter leading to a seven-figure settlement
- Successfully representing a software company in a complex business and intellectual property lawsuit resulting in settlement
- Helping a client obtain a six-figure settlement in an invasion of privacy claim
- Assisting a yacht owner win a 12-day Federal Court jury trial concerning breach of contract and breach of warranty claims leading to a judgment worth over $1 million
- Obtaining a significant six-figure settlement for his client in a sales commission dispute
- Helping win a $505,000 jury award after a competitor misappropriated his client’s trade secrets
- Representing two homeowners who recovered major damages in a dispute involving repeated flooding caused by construction activity on adjacent lots
- Assisting a beneficiary enforce contested trust language to obtain a substantial settlement
- Attaining a sizeable six-figure settlement for his client from a clinic where a mental health therapist violated patient boundaries
Christian also has extensive appellate experience on the state and federal level, including drafting motions, briefs, and conducting oral argument in the Massachusetts Appeals Court, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, and United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, and drafting petitions for writ of certiorari to the Supreme Court of the United States.
Believing that how animals are treated reflects on society’s values, Christian particularly enjoys assisting groups and individuals advocating on their behalf.
Several of Christian’s victories have earned him front page articles in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.